"Love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe"

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

The beginning of the story

So, I guess I'm writing this blog for me, primarily, and then I guess whoever wants to read it- hopefully someone will.
Who am I?

I'm a trained lawyer who decided to pack in all her cases and texts to become a public service employee (the nature of which will not yet be disclosed, but I can assure you is in no way related to my Law or Marketing degrees). I'm the first university-educated person in my family, and was expected to have a bright and wealthy future as a well-known QC. After a life-changing experience I discovered my calling in the public service. This blog is a record of my journey through life, discovering who I am, one fashion magazine, one cupcake, and one asana at a time.

Why cupcakes, fashion magazines and asanas?

Well...it's a long story, and one I hope to unravel along the way. The truth of the matter is that I am a self-confessed fashion and makeup junkie who spends all that I earn (and sometimes far, far more than what I earn) on clothes, magazines, makeup and coffees-with the occasional green tea and chai latte thrown in for good measure.

I am, if I say so myself, premium 1950's housewife material- I cook meals, clean and bake cakes like it's going out of style. I was raised by a decidedly feminist mother and the antithetical chauvinist father- who while he loves me very very dearly, has marked ideas about what is and isn't appropriate for females. For example, it is appropriate to become a lawyer or doctor, it is not appropriate to go into trade or blue-collar professions. Let me explain this- my father is not a snob, he is a man who has clawed tooth and nail for everything he has in his life, and doesn't want his princess to have to do the same. I respect his ideals- except when they interfere in my life.

You can imagine the drama I went through in order to get myself into the "public service", no?

Finally- the asanas. You may be aware that an asana is a movement or motion in yogic practice. I am a yoga addict as well. I think the first thing you'll notice about my personality is that there is very little "grey area". I will either love something and practice, research and talk about it until I bore everyone to tears, or I hate it with the passion of a thousand dying suns.

More information to come....


2 comments:

Sydney Shop Girl said...

Hello amiracle!

Thank you for stopping by at my blog.

Your story sounds interesting. I am intrigued about your journey, especially the yoga component.

Namaste

SSG xxx

Sydney Shop Girl blog

amiracle said...

Thanks, SSG. The post was written a little tongue-in-cheek but all true :) I love your blog already!

Namaste,

A xoxo